Our Family

Our Family

Monday, April 9, 2012

First Staple

We have been able to dodge stitches or staples so far since becoming parents but that changed on Friday night. I was putting the kids to bed and Maddie was insisting she needed to run back up and give Kamdyn loves. That girl comes up with any and all excuses to drag out our bed time routine. I finally gave in and told her to hurry and then come right back. Of course she was taking a while so I went to the bottom of the stairs and said "Come on sissy" She started coming and when she got to the top of the stairs she slipped from running and fell down a few of the stairs. From my view it looked like she only hit her bum and back but as I caught her she was screaming and holding her head. I was holding her and trying to get her to calm down and held my hand on her head where she was grabbing. By this time Kamrin had come to the top of the stairs to check on her. My hand started feeling weird so I pulled it away and sure enough it was COVERED in blood. I carried her up the stair and Kamrin took her in the kitchen and put her on the counter to check out the back of her head. As he was trying to see where all the blood was coming from he couldnt see any wound because there was way too much blood. The whole back of her head was bright red. Ill be honest I was a bit freaked out. None of my kids have ever had wounds that have bled like this before and to make it worse it was from her head. Kamrin put her in the bath tub to rinse out her hair so he could see how bad the wound was. I got a flash light and it still took us a while to see it because every time we would rinse it out more blood would cover it instantly. Finally he got a look at it and said we needed to take her in for stitches. We let her pick which one of us would take her and the other would stay here with the boys who were already in bed. She picked her daddy which was no surprise to me. After all she is the biggest daddys girl ever! As he was carrying her out the door she asked to go to her Grandma Nets house. I told her she needed to go to the doctor but I could call and see if Grandma could go with and that cheered her up. My mom was able to go so I told her I would take her to pick up Grandma and we would both go with her to the doctor. Once we go there they but numbing gel on the wound and it had to sit on there for 20 minutes. They said that they were gonna do staples instead of stitches since it was on the back of her head. After 20 minutes they called us back again and the nurse cleaned it all of and the doctor came in and did the staple. He said one staple should do the trick. Maddie was so brave! I was so proud of her! She only cried for 30 seconds or so right after he put it in and not at all the rest of the time. They gave her a popsicle and we headed to take my mom home. She wanted to go in and show Grandma Rushworth before heading home. Grandma Rushworth gave her a bag of candy and let her pick a drink for the way home. I thought that night would be rough and she would wake up quite a bit but to my surprise she slept the whole night long! She has been doing great with the whole situation. Im so proud of her! We go back on Friday to get the staple out.

1 comment:

brigette said...

OOuch poor kid! Hopefully her hair grows back in that spot :). Daxs still doesnt grow where he got his staple. Looks like she was brave.