Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Brynlee Ashlyn Hammond

Our little peanut Brynlee Ashlyn Hammond was born June 16, 2012 at 12:06am. She weighed 6 pounds 4 ounces and was 18 inches long.

Birth Story
Friday the 15th I woke up around 5am feeling a bit off and couldnt go back to sleep. Around 630 I knew something was going on and that I was most likely in labor. I was hesitant to believe it since I was convinced it wasnt possible for my body to go into labor on its own. I had an appt with my doctor at 9 so I figured I would wait til then and make sure it was really it before going to the hospital. With every minute it got worse. The contractions were bringing me to my knees. I was having such a hard time getting myself ready and knew there was no way I was going to be able to get my kids ready and to my aunts so I called my sister to come help me. Once she got here I could tell something was wrong with all my kids. Kamdyn was really fussy and VERY clingy. Maddie was fighting getting dressed. Jaydan was the worst. He was crying over EVERYTHING and wouldnt get dressed. Now that I look back on it, its like they could sense something big was about to happen. It very rare they all struggle at the same time and especially to that extreme. Finally after what felt like forever it was time to head to my appt. Just my luck though about 5 minutes before I got there his staff called me to tell me he was stuck at the hospital and would be about a half hour late. I was struggling to decide if I should go wait it out or head to the hospital. The only thing keeping me from heading to the hospital was I was really afraid it wasnt it and they would sent me home and I would miss my chance to have him strip my membranes and try and break my water since that was the plan for that appt. I went in and talked to his staff and after a few minutes they said I really should just head to the hospital. Once I got to the hospital they hooked me right up to the monitors and checked me. A different nurse came in and took over and checked me again. At this point I had a feeling come over me that this was really it and that for the first time my body had allowed itself to go into labor without force. I still tried not to get my hopes up too high until I heard them say the words. She took some blood and ran my iv. After a few more minutes she came back in and said she had just talked to my doctor and he gave the admit orders! I was still in so much shock and so very happy! At that point I was dilated to a 4. She started me on my first does of iv antibiotics at 10. I had tested positive for strep b so before delivering I needed at least 2 doses of the antibiotics. At that point she told me I could get my epidural any time I wanted. I decided to hold off a while because I was afraid it would slow my labor down. So the next couple hours I walked around my room, bounced on the labor ball and called and text everyone I could trying to distract myself. At 2 she started my second dose of antibiotics. I had asked for my epidural around 130 so right when she got the meds going both my doctor and the anesthesiologist came in at the same time. I told my doc to go ahead and break my water while the anesthesiologist prepped. That was different for me cause I had always had my epidural already when my water was broke with my others. My epidural this time was a pretty bad experience. I had always had great experiences with no problems before. First off the anesthesiologist I has was not very friendly at all. He took FOREVER doing it. All my others were so quick. He either put it in the wrong spot or something cause I got this lightening pain up my back and he pulled it out and placed it again. I finally started feeling it working and so he left. About a half hour later I noticed the left side wasnt as numb and was actually quite painful. The nurse had me flip to my left side to let the meds drain that way. It helped a little but not too much. After a while of being miserable and in pain a new anesthesiologist came in to check on me. I was so happy it was a different one and not only that it was the one that placed the one when I had Kamdyn so I knew he was great. I told him how I was feeling so he switched me to a different kind of meds. I instantly felt so much better and could tell it was numbing me everywhere. About a half hour later I started itching so bad everywhere. They told me it was the narcotic in the new meds and that he could switch it back to the other stuff if I wanted. I decided to keep the new meds cause I much rather itch then feel that pain again. My progress was pretty slow throughout the day so they finally started me on pitocin to jump start it. Didnt work too much because it was on such a low dose. I was only progressing 1cm or so every couple hours. It was really frustrating. Finally just before midnight I finally got the news it was time to push. I really wanted her born on the 15th but she obviously had different plans. After only pushing through 4 sets of contractions she was born at 12:06am on the 16th! I was so thankful pushing was so short and easy because I was so wore out at that point. After doing all they needed with her and I they took us up to our new room about 1 1/2 hours after she was born. We decided to wait to give her, her 1st bath til the morning because we were both so exhausted and needed some sleep to even function. The rest of the night was filled with the normal vital checks, feedings and checking on constantly.

The next morning we went and gave her, her first bath. I also got to take a shower which made me feel so much better. We had visitors throughout the day. My mom and sister brought my kids to meet their new sister. At first the older 2 wouldnt even hold her but then warmed up and loved on her for a while. Kamdyn was really cute and was giving her hugs and kisses. After the busy day with visitors we were relaxing and watching a movie. I had to go to the bathroom so I laid her on the bed. As I was about to come out I hear Kamrin yelling "My baby is choking on something I need help" My heart dropped and I ran out. I opened the door so the nurse could just run right in. By this time Brynlees lips were blue. I lost it. The nurse started suctioning her out and Brynlee let out a big cry. Best sound ever. We then followed the nurse to the nursery to check her oxygen level and it was perfect. It took a while for me to calm down. One of the scariest moments I had ever had. Seeing your babies lips blue from not breathing was terrifying. I hope I never have to go through something like that again. The rest of the night was nothing but relaxing and staring at her to make sure she was really okay.

Sunday we got the okay to go home even though typically I should have stayed til Monday but since baby and I were both doing great they let us go. All morning was a bunch of waiting around til all the final check ups and such were done so we could go. We got home early afternoon and I headed straight for the shower. Nothing better then a nice refreshing shower in your own shower :-) We had a pretty low key afternoon. At 5 Kamrins family came out to celebrate Fathers Day with us and brought out dinner so I didnt have to worry about it.

We are so happy Brynlee is finally here and are very ready for this new adventure in our lives!! 

1 comment:

brigette said...

Bummer on such a long labor but hooray she's here and healthy!!