Our Family

Our Family

Monday, July 13, 2009

Latest Health Issue




The hardest part of being a mom for me is when my kids are hurt or sick in any way. Even the small boo boos or mild little sicknesses just break my heart. I dont like the feeling of knowing my kids are in any kind of pain and not being able to do anything about it. With that said last Sunday we went to pick up Jaydan from my brothers house cause he had a sleep over there with Tyson and Conner and when we got there he had just woke up from a nap and his eyes were puffy and red and seemed like he had a bit of a stuffy nose so we figured it was allergies and gave him some allergy medicine and it seemed to help a bit. Well that night he was up alot and seemed very uncomfortable and he had a cough at that point that just kept getting worse. All Monday I kept an eye on him and all in the middle of the night he was coughing so hard it sounded like he was throwing up and his breathing sounded horrible. Tuesday morning I decided to take him in to the doc to see what was going on. The nurse tested his oxygen and it was low so the doc came right in and listened to him breathe for over a minute. She decided to do a chest xray to make sure it wasnt pneumonia. After the xray we went back in our room and she told me it wasnt pneumonia which she figured it wasnt because he didnt have a constant wheeze like pneumonia has. She told me all the symptoms and the way his lungs sounded she said it was the beginning stages of asthma. She said it was likely allergies that brought on this little attack. I know there are all different kinds and seriousness to asthma. I know that sometimes if they get it as infants or toddlers they grow out of it. I know that sometimes it only flairs up when they are sick and not other times. Also I know there is a bad case where they need the inhaler everyday. We arent sure what kind he will have. Only time will tell. I have asthma pretty bad on both sides of my family so it worries me he wont grow out of it and this will be a part of his life from now on. I hope for the best that it is mild and that he will grow out of it but it doesnt help me not to worry. Im their mom so its my job to worry about them and their health ever when it could be something mild. I never let Jaydan know Im worried about this and I never will let my worries affect him. When its time to do his masked inhaler I make it exciting for him so he will not be scared or not like it. He has done so good with it. He has only fought me on it once and it was because he was half asleep. He thinks its cool to have the mask on and breathe really deep. Im so proud of him and how brave he is. He never puts up a fight at the doctor and he always lets them check out whatever they need to and sits very still while they check him out. So far since being on the inhaler he has improved a bit but still gets bad chest congestion as it gets closer to having another treatment. I just hope it keeps improving for him.

No comments: